Exercise and Your Heart
Having cardiovascular disease can still mean that you can have a healthy and productive future. Our Cardiac Rehab team assisst in creating a tailored fitness plan to help patients exercise safely.
We encourage you to take this opportunity to learn more about how regular exercise is a necessary part of a heart healthy lifestyle by attending our cardiac rehab program. It provides you with classes on physical conditioning, personalized education and preventive care in an effort to reduce risk factors and improve overall health.
Exercise is good for your heart as it heals and it offers other benefits for your body, mind and spirit, such as:
Increases mental alertness.
Reduces anxiety or depression.
Reduces body fat and weight.
Improves balance and strength.
Improves quality of sleep.
Increases energy level.
The Faith Regional Pulmonary Conditioning Program. is designed to gradually condition your body to help increase endurance and strength. The increased endurance allow for daily activities and other pursuits to be enjoyed much easier. Our Pulmonary Rehab program strives to:
- Improve quality of life.
- Control and alleviate symptoms and pathophysiological complications of respiratory impairment.
- Decrease psychosocial symptoms such as anxiety or depression.
- Increase compliance with the medical regimen.
- Train, motivate and rehabilitate self-care through an organized team effort.
- Train, motivate and involve significant others in the treatment program.
- Return individuals to gainful employment or active retirement.
- Educate the general public and health care professionals about pulmonary health and rehabilitation.
- Increase awareness in the medical community regarding the importance of early detection of pulmonary disease through screenings.
- Increase awareness in the community about theharmful effects of smoking, secondhand smoke and available treatment for effective smoking cessation.
The Pulmonary Conditioning program is run by registered and licensed nurses, respiratory therapists and exercise specialists who are skilled in their various professions and in pulmonary conditioning and rehabilitation. In addition to our regular staff, we have consulting staff members such as dietitians, pharmacists and psychologists who work with us in presenting educational sessions.
Individualized exercise programs, written based on the results of an exercise test, minimizes injury and tailors progress according to tolerance level. Pulmonary Rehabilitation utilizes a variety of different exercise equipment including:
- stationary bicycles
- airdyne bicycles
- arm ergometers
A very important part of rehabilitation involves learning more about the disease or medical procedure. Educational sessions are held prior to all exercise sessions. These sessions cover topics such as:
- Patient and Family Information
- Anatomy and Disease
- Tests For Diagnosis
- Risk Factors
- Activities and Exercise
- Family Issues/Stress